- Make a clear list of things you are storing and the box number it is in.
- Try to pack all your stuff in uniform boxes. Stack them over each other.
- Keep the boxes which you may frequently need near the entrance to save you effort later.
- Check the weights. Keep the heavier boxes on the bottom while stacking the lighter ones on top.
Here are some more packing and storage tips:
- Be sure to wrap the fragile items in a soft packing material to avoid breakage.
- Try to disassemble larger pieces of furniture.
- Do not store contraband or inflammable items in the storage unit.
- Cover mattresses and store them flat on level surfaces.
- Use packing peanuts or bubble wrap to minimize shifting objects.
- Ensure you leave some walkways between your storage items.
- Make sure you have insurance coverage. Check your homeowners or renters policy to confirm coverage or sign up for a policy when you check in.
- It is always good to cover your furnishings with plastic covers and use plastic bins to keep your possessions free from insects or potential water damage.